Pago Vallegarcía is situated in the municipality of Retuerta del Bullaque in the region of the Cabañeros National Park in the area of Montes de Toledo.
• l. 39 º 28 N – L. 4 º 25 W
• altitude 835 m
The climate is continental with hot and dry summers and cold, damp winters.
• Average annual rainfall 622 mm
• Maximum Temp. 36.2ºC
• Max. Avg. Temp. 17.8ºC
• Avg. Temp. 13.0ºC
• Avg. Min. Temp. 8.1ºC
• Minimum Temp. -6.2ºC
(Data collected over the past 25 years)
The soil is made up of acidic materials, low in fertility and highly evolved. The vineyard is situated on an area of Raña. This is a system of alluvial deposits formed from the front of the mountain ranges and made up of very meteorized slate and quartzite blocks on a sandy matrix.
Vallegarcía has 31 ha of vines, planted in 1999.
• The vineyard contains six grape varieties, five red and one white.
Cabernet Sauvignon (clone 337), 8 ha
Syrah (clone 174) 7 ha
Merlot (clone 181) 6 ha
Petit Verdot (clone 400) 2 ha
Cabernet Franc (clone 214) 3 ha
Viognier (clone 642) 5 ha
• The entire vineyard is grafted on the same rootstock, 3309 Couderc.
• The 3309C is a hybrid of Riparia x Rupestris genetically closer to Rupestris than Riparia for its ampelography and its characteristics, moderate vigour and precocity.
• It adapts to deep soils, it has a low resistance to active limestone and little tolerance to drought and excess water.
• It is a recommended rootstock from a quality point of view.
• The plots planted in 1999 have a planting density of 2008 plants per ha, in a frame of 3 m x 1.66 m.
• The areas planted in 2005 and 2008 have a planting density of 2777 plants per ha, in a frame of 3 m x 1.20 m. Trellis systems and pruning
• Smart Dyson Trellis. It is a vertical shoot system split in two, with part of the vegetation going upwards and the other part downwards.
• Pruning is on spurs located on a unilateral cordon situated at 1.10 m and with the spurs pointing both upwards and downwards.
Monitoring of the crop
• The crop is monitored by several radio transmitters, located at different points of the vineyard, which transmit data collected by sensors that continuously measure different variables
• The combination between the accuracy of the measurements taken by the sensors and the real time radio transmission of data, makes this technology a powerful tool for the improvement of irrigation strategies.
Sensors and data integration
• Weather data (air temperature, rainfall, wind speed and direction, leaf moisture, solar radiation, atmospheric pressure, soil temperature…)
• Sensors of soil humidity at different depths
• Water consumption monitoring
• ETo calculation